Basale Koddel or Malabar spinach sambar is one of the authentic recipe of Udupi-Malgalore region. Basale soppu in kannada (Malabar Spinach) or Basale leaves are the main ingredient of it. Koddel means sambar in Tulu language(regional language in Managalore-udupi side)
Basale Koddel or Malabar spinach sambar is prepared using boiled lentils, basale leaves and ground masala of coconut and spices. This is a very tasty recipe using Basale leaves. It is also called as ‘Basale soppina saru’, ‘Basale soppina sambar’, ‘Malabar spinach sambar’.
Malabar Spinach is very good for health. Basale leaves are tropical leafy green vegetable, commonly grown as a backyard herb in the home gardens. Basale leaves are usually found in the Malabar regions of India and SriLanka.
These Basale leaves holds incredibly good amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It also contains good amount of B-complex vitamins such as Folate, Vitamin-B6 and riboflavin. It means this leafy green vegetable is good for the Pregnant ladies.
Regular consumption of Basale leaves helps to prevent iron deficiency or anemia. It is also believed to protect the body from cardiovascular diseases.
If you are looking to for more side dish recipes, then don’t miss to chock out these recipes
Here is the Video of the recipe:
Malabar Spinach Sambar or Basale Soppina Huli
- 2 cups Malabar spinach or Basale soppu chopped
- 1/2 cup Toor dal
- 1 Onion small chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- Water as required
- Salt as required
- 1 lemon sized Tamarind Extract
For masala preparation
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- 2-3 Red chilli
- 2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 5-6 garlic crushed
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 generous pinch Asafoetida
Cooking the Dal and Malabar Spinach:
- Wash the Toor dal and Malabar spinach separately.
- Cut the Malabar spinach and Onion.
- Put washed dal and chopped Malabar spinach and onion to the vessel and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure settles down on its own.
- Meanwhile prepare the masala.
Preparing the masala:
- Grate the coconut and add all the ingredients mentioned for Masala preparation.
- Ground the masala in a mixi jar by adding required amount of water.
Preparing the Basale Koddel:
- Once the pressure of the cooker settles down take out the toor dal and Malabar spinach, put in a thick bottomed pan.
- Then add the ground masala to it. Add tamarind extract, required salt, sugar.
- If required you can add little water and adjust the consistency.
- Let it boil on medium flame. Meanwhile prepare for tempering.
- Put 1 tsp of oil in a tadka pan and heat it.
- Once heated add little mustard seeds, asafoetida, crushed garlic, jeera, curry leaves.
- Put this to the boiling Basale Koddel.
Mix everything well and Basale Koddel (Malabar spinach sambar) is ready to serve with hot steamed rice or akki rotti.
Preparing the Basale Koddel recipe with step by step photos:
Wash the Toor dal, Basale leaves, onion and chop the vegetables.
Put in a vessel and keep in a pressure cooker, pressure cook for 3 whistles. Let the pressure settles down on its own. Meanwhile we can prepare the masala.
Grate the coconut and keep all the ingredients ready.
Grind it to a smooth paste in a mixi by adding little water.
Once the pressure settles down, remove the cooked dal and leaves put it in vessel. Also add ground masala to it. Add required amount of salt, sugar, water and tamarind extract. allow it to boil. Prepare the tempering and put it to the boiling koddel.
Basale koddel is ready to serve along with hot steamed rice or akki roti.