Chow chow is a vegetable which can be used in chow chow kuzhambu, chow chow kootu, chow chow fry. But somehow I haven’t bought this vegetable anytime. But this time I thought like let’s try this once. Then I tried chow chow kulzhambu Tamilnadu style.
Chow chow kuzhambu is made with the freshly grinded spices. You can serve this as a side dish with steamed rice. It’s one of the authentic dish in brahmin family in Tamilnadu, They also prepare chow chow kootu very often.
Chow chow is native to Mexico, introduced as a crop worldwide. It is known as in different names in different regions, like chayote, chow chow, choko, vegetable pear, pear squash etc. Chayote is a roughly pear-shaped, mild flavored vegetable grown worldwide for its delicious seeds, roots, shoots, flowers, leaves and fruit. Almost all parts are consumed raw in salad, boiled, marinated or fried.
This vegetable is not only a tasty but also has some health benefits. Chow chow is rich in amino acids, vitamin C, cholesterol free, low calorie, rich in dietary fiber and vitamins. Leaves and fruit have laxative, diuretic, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties.
Do try this chow chow kuzhambu and don’t miss to comment your views on how it turned out…
And if you are looking for more side dish recipes then check out these
How to make Chow chow kuzhambu video of the recipe:
How to make chow chow Kuzhambu
- 1 Chow Chow chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2-2.5 cups Water
- 1 TBSP Oil
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2-3 Salt
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Oil
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Wash the chow chow, cut into half. Remove the seed part and chop into cubes.
- Add this in a vessel containing sufficient amount of water and cook in a pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile prepare the masala.
- Take oil in a sauce pan and heat it. Once the oil is heated, add red chilli, coriander seeds, jeera and saute well.
- Then add tomato and onion to it and saute well till the raw aroma goes off.
- Grind this mixture with grated coconut and turmeric by adding little water.
- Once the pressure of the pressure cooker settles down o its own, remove the chow chow and take it in a vessel.
- Add the ground mixture to it, also add salt to taste. You can add water if required for the consistency.
- Let this boil, meanwhile you can prepare the tempering.
- Take oil in a saucepan and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves. when the mustard seeds starts spluttering put this tempering to the boiling kuzhambu.
- Mix everything well and switch off the flame.
- Chow chow kuzhambu is ready to serve.
How to make Chow chow kuzhambu with step by step photos:
Wash the chow chow, chop into cubes as shown in the picture.
Add this in a vessel containing sufficient amount of water and cook in a pressure cooker.
Keep all the ingredients ready.
Grind the masala by adding little water.
Once the pressure of the pressure cooker settles down o its own, remove the chow chow and take it in a vessel. Add the ground mixture to it, also add salt to taste. You can add water if required for the consistency. Let this boil, meanwhile you can prepare the tempering and put it. Mix everything well and switch off the flame.
Chow chow kuzhambu is ready to serve.