Beetroot palya or Beetroot porial is well known dish but everybody doesn’t add grated coconut to it. Adding the coconut gives it a delicious taste. Do try it.
Beetroot…! that earthy flavour, deep pink which can be eaten raw, but some people doesn’t like the smell. Those people can try beetroot palya or beetroot poriyal.
Originally beetroot was from Europe, and then cultivated by Romans. It contains highest sugar content than any other vegetables. A pigment called betanin in the beetroot can be extracted to create natural food coloring.
Although it is high in sugar content, it has many health benefits. Low calorie and almost no fat, loaded with fiber, lowers blood pressure, detoxifies your body, rich in antioxidants, and many more.
Then let’s start with the recipe of Beetroot palya or beetroot poriyal.
This can served with Soft phulkas or chapathi. And also go well as a side dish with Rice sambar combo.
Beetroot palya/ beetroot porial recipe
Beetroot palya or Beetroot poriyal is well known dish but everybody doesn't add grated coconut to it. Adding the coconut gives it a delicious taste. Do try it.
- 250 gm Beetroot grated
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 tablespoon Coconut grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry mango Powder
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt as required
- Remove the peels from Beetroot and grate it. Chop Onion and grate the coconut and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in kadai or pan, Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add grated beetroot & chopped onion and saute well. If the veggies looks so dry then you can sprinkle little water.
- Add all the dry spice powders one by one. Also add salt to taste.
- Saute well so that all the powders gets mixed properly. Then cover the pan with lid so that beetroot will get cooked properly.
- Once it is cooked sprinkle the grated coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame and cover with lid.
So the beetroot palya / beetroot poriyal is ready. Serve hot with rice sambar combo or with roti.