Lauki Kheer | Sorekayi Payasa – Detailed description of the recipe with photos. Sorekayi Payasa | Lauki Kheer is prepared very easily with very minimum ingredients available at your home.
Bottle Gourd is one vegetable, which can be used in many types of recipes such as sabzi, kofta’s, curry, sambar, kheer, paratha and many more. This kheer is prepared by using grated Bottle gourd.
BottleGourd Kheer | Sorekayi Payasa – As I told in the recipe of Bottle Gourd Kofta curry – Lauki or Bottle gourd is also known as calabash gourd, white flowered gourd, New Guinea bean, long melon are the different names for this. Bottle gourd has lots of health benefits, before going to that let me tell you the nutritional value.
Bottle gourd is low in calories and provides small amounts of vitamin C, folate, calcium, iron, zinc and B vitamins. It has lots of water content, “no FAT”. Not only does it have a cooling effect in the body, but is quite beneficial for the heart and even helps reduce sleeping disorders. Having Lauki juice daily can help in weight loss. Rich in fiber and alkali content, it helps in treating acidity.
You can serve this payasam as a dessert, either hot or chilled.
Before going to the recipe, I would like to highlight some of the recipes on my blog you may want to check out.
Suggested Watch: Banana Payasam Recipe Video
Check out sweets recipes collection
Suggested Watch : Plastic Chutney | How to make Raw Papaya Plastic Chutney | Tasty Raw Papaya Recipe
RECIPE CARD FOR SOREKAYI PAYASA | LAUKI KHEER RECIPE
BottleGourd Kheer | Sorekayi Payasa
- 1 cup Bottle Gourd Grated
- 5-6 TBSP Sugar adjusted as per your taste
- 1/4 cup Coconut Grated
- 1 TBSP Ghee
- 6 Cashews
- 7-8 Raisins
- 2 Cardamom
- 3/4 cup Milk Boiled
- 3-4 Saffron Strands
- Salt a pinch
- Wash the Bottle gourd, peel off the skin and remove the seeds.
- Grate the de-seeded bottle gourd with the help of grater.
- Also keep the grated coconut ready.
- In a pan, Add ghee and roast cashews, raisins. Roast till the cashews gets little golden colour.
- Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same pan, However the ghee is left out. Add the grated bottle gourd and pinch of salt and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover with the lid and cook until bottle gourd becomes soft & well cooked, you need to stir in-between.
- You can use more water if required.
- Meanwhile you can prepare coconut milk.
- In a mixie jar add grated coconut, cardamom(elaichi), sugar and little water. Make smooth paste.
- Once the bottle gourd is cooked well then add the coconut paste, milk and saffron strands.
- Let it come to boil. You can adjust the consistency of payasam by adding milk.
- At last add the roasted cashews and raisins to payasam.
- Serve the payasam hot or chilled.
Tips & Variation :
- You can also use the condensed milk.
- Use jaggery instead of sugar.
- You can serve this payasam hot or chilled. If you refrigerate it becomes thick, you can use milk to make the payasam consistency.