Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Vermicelli Upma recipe with step by step photos and detailed video of the recipe. This is one of the most popular South Indian breakfast recipe in most of the houses. Semiya Upma is an interesting variation in the upma recipes. Semiya Upma is a healthy and nutritious breakfast recipe made out of Semiya. First of all I am not a big fan of upma recipes, but I prepare upma recipes rarely just for a change from daily routine of breakfast. Dosa’s I can eat all time, from breakfast to dinner anytime I love to eat dosa’s. But Semiya Upma is much more tastier than Rava or sooji upma.
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Vermicelli Upma recipe with step by step photos and detailed video of the recipe. As I mentioned earlier Semiya Upma is very nutritious because you can add plenty of vegetables. It is liked by kids as it resembles noodles. I have added carrots, cabbage, onions, and green peas. You can add your choice of vegetables and based on the vegetables you put, the taste varies. I have prepared Semiya Upma mild spice, if you like it to be spicy then you can increase the amount of green chilli.
MTR and Bambino are the two brands of vermicelli are popular and it is okay to use any normal vermicelli or semiya to prepare the dish. I used here is of MTR vermicelli. You need to dry roast semiya or vermicelli before starting with the recipe. If you are using roasted semiya then you can skip this step. And the very important part is putting the amount of water, based on the variety of Vermcelli the amount of water varies. If the semiya is thin then only one cup of water is enough and the thick variety of semiya requires 2 cups of water.
Semiya upma can be done in three ways – First option is roast the semiya along with vegetables and spices, then add water and boil until semiya gets cooked. Second option is roast the semiya and boil it in water to cook and then roast it along with vegetables and spices. Third option is roast the vegetables and spices together then add the water, when the water is coming to boil add the dry roasted semiya and cook it. In this recipe I have explained the way of doing from the first option. According to me the first option looks easy because if you cook semiya earlier, you should take care that semiya’s are just soft, if you overcook it then it will become mushy and you can’t mix properly.
Lastly, coming to the serving – Semiya upma can be served along with chutney or it can also had plain. But only thing is it tastes great when you have it hot or warm.
You may would like to check out my other upma recipes like
SEMIYA UPMA | VERMICELLI UPMA RECIPE VIDEO:
Suggested Watch : Vermicelli Kheer | Semiya Payasam
RECIPE CARD FOR SEMIYA UPMA | VERMICELLI UPMA RECIPE:
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Vermicelli Upma recipe
- 1 cup Semiya | Vermicelli
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 4-5 Cashews
- Salt to taste
- Sugar a little
- 2 cups Water (add if required extra)
- 3 tbsp Cabbage chopped
- 1 Carrot chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Green chilli slit
- 1 handful Green peas soaked overnight
Roasting the Semiya:
- Firstly heat the pan and put 1 cup of semiya in it. Keep the flame low.
- Start roasting the semiya, stir in between till the semiya looks little golden.
- Switch off the flame and remove the semiya, keep aside.
Making the Semiya Upma recipe:
- If you are adding green peas, then soak it overnight.
- Keep the vegetables chopped.
- Take a pan and heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is heated put 1/4th tsp of mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Add 1 tsp channa dal, 5-6 curry leaves, 2 tsp peanuts, 4-5 cashews and roast for 2 minutes.
- Then add handful of soaked green peas and saute well. Add slit green chilli, and chopped onion, roast saute for sometime till the onions become translucent.
- Add chopped cabbage 3 tbsp and 1 chopped carrot. Saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup dry roasted semiya, required salt, sugar and mix well. Meanwhile keep the hot water ready.
- Once the semiya is well mixed with the other ingredients, add 2 cups of hot water and saute well (Adding hot water reduces the cooking time of semiya).
- Cover the lid, saute in between till the semiya gets cooking properly. (If required add extra water, mainly the amount of water depends on the type of semiya used)n
- Once the semiya is well cooked, remove the lid and mix gently. Serve the Semiya Upma hot.
SEMIYA UPMA | VERMICELLI UPMA RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS:Dry roast the semiya, keep the vegetables chopped. If you are adding green peas, then soak it overnight.
Tips & Variations
If you are using roasted semiya then skip the dry roasting step.
Add your choice of vegetables, here I have not used tomato.
Amount of water depends on the type of semiya you use.
You can use more spice if you like the upma to be spicy.
Grated coconut can be added if you wish at the end, once the semiya is cooked.