Aloo Poha | How to make Aloo Poha recipe | Potato Poha recipe – with detailed description and also video of the recipe is here. Poha recipes are most common in Maharastra and it is now prepared in South India too. First of all I am not a big fan of it. But whenever you don’t have time for breakfast that time it is one of the best option. Because it is quick and easy. Only thing is you need boiled potato ready. My husband likes to have Poha for Breakfast so I prepare it often.
Aloo Poha is an ultimate breakfast as well as snack item from Maharastra. Even in Karnataka some people are used to make Poha for breakfast. Poha and Rava upma makes the breakfast combo in wedding ceremonies and other family functions. It is a very easy to prepare recipe.
Poha is prepared from flattened rice. This recipe has many variations, one is you can use only onion. That is kanda poha. You can use onion and potato, that is aloo poha or potato poha. So here I am going to give you a recipe of the Aloo Poha.
You can also try using other vegetables like beans, capsicum, green peas. But they have to be lightly fried before the addition of poha.
Aloo Poha | Potato Poha recipe – Now a days you get many ready to eat poha packs which will be ready in 3 to 5 minutes. But the taste varies than the freshly prepared ones. I tried MTR 3 mins Poha as well as Mother’s recipe instant poha mix. Very easy to prepare, you only have to add hot water and keep it covered for sometime. Mix well and have it.
Before going to the recipe I would like to highlight some of my other recipes:
ALOO POHA | POTATO POHA RECIPE VIDEO:
RECIPE CARD FOR ALOO POHA | POTATO POHA RECIPE:
How to make Aloo Poha | Poha recipe
Aloo Poha is an ultimate breakfast as well as snack item from Maharastra. Even in Karnataka some people are used to make Poha for breakfast.
- 1 cup Thick Poha (Flattened rice)
- 1 medium sized Potato (boiled) chopped
- 1 medium sized Onion chopped
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jeera
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Peanuts
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt as required
- Coconut grated
If you don't like the sweet taste then don't add sugar. You can also sprinkle lemon, which gives the different taste.
- You have to soak the thick poha for 1 minute, then wash it and Keep aside let the poha absorb the water. And do take care that poha does not become mushy.
- Add the salt required and sugar to washed poha and mix it. If you add sugar and salt later it may not get mixed properly.
- Chop the boiled potato, onion, green chilli and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, jeera and saute it.
- When the mustard seeds starts fluttering then add peanuts, green chilli, curry leaves, turmeric powder.
- Then add onion saute it well till they become translucent. then add Boiled and chopped potato mix well.
- After that add poha and mix well gently such that everything mixes properly.
- Switch off the flame and add grated coconut and stir it, Keep the lid covered for 3 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the Aloo poha hot.
For Kanda poha the procedure is same, but don't add potato. Do have the hot poha, it tastes great as a snacks too in the rainy season.