Rava Upma or Sooji Upma recipe – with step by step photos and detailed video of the recipe. This is one of the most popular South Indian breakfast recipe in most of the houses. Rava Upma recipe is an easy, quick recipe for you to try it out. It is a favorite dish for many south Indians.
Upma is made from Wheat Semolina also known as cream of wheat. Sooji Upma can be prepared very easily with minimum ingredients and a perfect breakfast recipe too. So the cream of wheat is sauteed along with the spices and vegetables first, and then it is boiled in water until all the rava gets cooked properly.
One can find this breakfast in most of the south Indian homes as well as in many hotels. Even during the large gatherings, wedding ceremonies Upma regular item in breakfast. It is easy to make, along with fresh vegetables definitely it makes a healthy breakfast. Go through the steps for the Rava Upma recipe.
Many other option of Upma are like Bread Upma, Semiya Upma, Oats Upma, Idli upma etc.
Lastly, coming to the serving part, Rava upma can be served along with chutney or it can also had plain. But only thing is it tastes great when you have it hot or warm.
You may would like to check out my other upma recipes like
RAVA UPMA | SOOJI UPMA RECIPE VIDEO:
RECIPE CARD FOR RAVA UPMA | SOOJI UPMA RECIPE:
Rava Upma or Sooji Upma recipe
- 1 cup Rava/ Sooji
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 5-6 Cashew nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger grated
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 tablespoon Coconut grated
- Sugar as required
- Salt as required
- Dry roast the rava on a medium flame until crunchy. Keep stirring continuously otherwise it will become brown. When it starts to look dry and crisp switch off the flame, transfer it to the bowl and keep aside.
- Add oil to the pan, add Mustard seeds, Cumin,Turmeric powder, Chana dal, Cashew nuts and curry leaves, saute for a minute.
- Add chopped Onion, Tomato, Green chilli, ginger, salt for taste and saute for two minutes.
- Then add the roasted rava to this mixture and saute for 2 minutes. Meanwhile keep the boiling water ready.
- Add the boiling water the mitxure, and keep on stirring. So that rava should absorb water and get cooked.
- Then add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and sugar as required for taste.
- Mix well and switch off the flame, cover the pan for two minutes. Upma is ready to serve.
How to make Rava Upma or Sooji Upma with step by step photos:Dry roasted rava.
Tips & Variations:
- I have roasted the rava beforehand. If you are using the roasted ready rava you can skip roasting.
- You can serve this upma along with lemon pickle also. Some people likes when sev is sprinkled on it while having.
- You can also add veggies like Carrot, green peas, beans.
- Tastes great when served hot.