Sabudana or Sago or Tapioca pearls are used in the dish called Sabudana Kichadi. This is a breakfast recipe, as well as you can use it for fasting when you are keeping any Vrat.
Me and my husband love Sabudana Kichadi very much and now our little boy started loving it too. But somehow this dish preparation is not easy, because sometimes it becomes mushy or sticky. Two types of sabudana will be there. One is small pearls and one little bigger pearls. So you need to buy that bigger pearls.
Beautiful Sago pearls coated with roasted powder of crunchy peanut and sauteed with potatoes and spices with a generous squeeze of lemon. Yes.. It is liked by almost everybody. Then why are we waiting, Let’s start with the recipe of Sabudana Kichadi.
RECIPE CARD FOR SABUDANA KICHADI RECIPE:
Sabudana Kichadi | How to make Sabudana Kichadi
- 1 cup Sabudana or Sago
- 1-2 Green chilli chopped
- 1/2 cup Peanuts roasted
- 1-2 Potato medium sized chopped
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon Jeera
- 2 teaspoon Coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt as required
This recipe cannot be done instantly, Sabudana needs to be soaked in water overnight.
- Soak the Sabudana previous night itself otherwise atleast 3-4 hours of soaking is required based on the type of Sabudana.
- Next day drain the water using the strainer or colander. Spread over the thick cloth, so water will be removed from Sago pearls. they should not be sticky.
- Take a pan and roast the peanuts till they become little brown. Once cooled make coarse powder in dry grinder. Meanwhile keep the vegetables chopped.
- In the same pan heat the 2 tablespoon of oil, put jeera, curry leaves, chopped green chilli, and grated ginger. Saute well until the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Then add chopped potato and saute well. You can cover the pan with the lid till the potato is cooked, but you need to saute very often in between.
- Once the potato become smooth then add Sabudana pearls, salt and mix well. then add coarsely powdered peanuts and mix properly.
- When Sabudana pearls started getting translucent and well mixed with the other ingredients, then sprinkle lemon juice and switch of the flame.
- Mix well, garnish with the coriander leaves and serve hot.
Variations: You can add onion along with potato if you are not making it for any Vrat. Also you can garnish with grated coconut. These both add the extra taste to it. 🙂