Mangalore buns are famous and familiar in Mangalore and udupi region. Mangalore buns or Banana pooris are mostly available in almost all the restaurants in Mangalore and Udupi regions. In other cities also it available in some of the restaurants. ‘Udupi park’ is one of the those restaurants who serve Mangalore buns for breakfast(In Bangalore also many places they have branches) .
These are best made with overripe bananas, so you can adjust the sugar based the sweetness of the bananas. You can have it for breakfast along with coconut chutney or for evening tea. So it’s a Breakfast as well as snacks recipe.
Also you can try the Neer dosa recipe for Breakfast.
Then why waiting…let’s start with the recipe.
RECIPE CARD FOR MANGALORE BUNS RECIPE:
Mangalore Buns/ Banana pooris/ Mangalore special recipe
- 1-2 Banana medium sized
- 1.5 cup Maida
- 2 tablespoon Sugar (optional, If you like to have it little sweet taste then add sugar)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera powder (you can use Jeera directly also)
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- Oil for deep fry
You can use wheat flour also instead of maida or else you can use both half-half.
- Remove the peels and chop the banana, then you have to mash it properly.
- Add in Maida flour, sugar, Jeera powder, salt except yogurt to the mashed banana.
- Knead the mixture to form a smooth dough (like chapati dough consistency). If the dough is too dry then add yogurt into it and knead.
- If the dough is too sticky then apply some ghee or oil to your hand.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature.
- After 3-4 hours you have to knead the dough before start doing banana pooris.
- Make a lemon sized balls from the dough and dust the rolling board with flour either maida or wheat flour. Roll it to make round shaped pooris.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, and put the rolled pooris in oil.
- Deep fry them until they are turned golden brown on both sides. Remove the pooris from the oil and place it on a paper napkin to drain out excess oil.
- Serve the hot Managlore buns or Banana pooris with coconut chutney.