Curry Leaves Rice | Karuveppilai Sadam | Karibevu Chitranna – with step by step photos, description and video of the recipe is here. This tasty lunch box rice recipe is made from mixing the rice with the curry leaves and some spices mixture. If you have the rice ready then you can prepare this rice in 15 minutes.
Curry Leaves are one of the healthiest leaves we use in our cooking. But sad part is we pick and throw it while eating. Most of the South Indian Tadka’s will not be perfect without the touch of Curry leaves.
Firstly, it is a good lunch box recipe or you can easily prepare this Curry Leaves Rice whenever your vegetables stock got over. You can even make curry leaves powder and store it in a air tight container or glass jar for the later use.
Curry Leaves Rice | Karuveppilai Sadam | Karibevu Chitranna
Furthermore, Curry Leaves Rice has other variations of preparing too. some people use only the curry leaves and red chillies. However, I have used some lentils, spices, red chilli and curry leaves. I personally liked this way of preparing this recipe. Because the taste of lentils and other spices are giving extra deliciousness to the dish.
Curry Leaves are packed with a multitude of nutrients like carbohydrate, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, zinc, multivitamins and flavonoids, curry leaves are an arcade of health benefits. It is used in the treatment of anemia, helps in weightloss, hair and skin problems.
In addition, , promotes hair health. The richness of antioxidants and nutrients in these leaves work wonders in giving a lustrous long hair. It treats damaged hair, strengthens the hair roots, prevents hair fall and also treats dandruff. (Curry Leaves Oil worked wonder for me treating hairfall).
Curry Leaves Rice make me to remember our trip to Coonoor & Ooty. I have tasted the Curry Leaves Rice in Coonoor for the first time. It was so so delicious, I still remember the taste of it. I also tried the recipe and here it is.
Before Going to the recipe, I would like to highlight some of my other recipes here,
CURRY LEAVES RICE | KARUVEPPILAI SADAM RECIPE VIDEO :
SUGGESTED WATCH : Methi Salad | How to make Fenugreek Leaves Salad
RECIPE CARD FOR CURRY LEAVES RICE | KARIVEPPILAI SADAM :
Curry Leaves Rice | Karuveppilai Sadam | Karibevu Chitranna
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 TBSP Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Chana dal
- 2 Red Chillies
- Asafoetida/Hing generous pinch
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 3/4 cup Curry Leaves well cleaned
- 1 tsp Roasted gram/ Putani
- Fenugreek seeds little
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Dry mango powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 TBSP Cashews (Handful)
- 6-7 Curry leaves for tempering
- 2 cup Rice Boiled or steamed
- Salt to taste
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and heat it.
- Once the oil is heated add coriander seeds, chana dal, red chilli and generous pinch of asafoetida.
- Then add black pepper powder.
- Next add 3/4 cup of well cleaned and dried curry leaves.
- Roast them on low flame.
- Then add 1 tsp of Roasted gram or bengal gram and a little fenugreek seeds.
- Also add 1 tsp of Urad Dal.
- Next add 1/4 tsp of Dry mango powder.
- Roast everything well. lentils and spices turns aromatic.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool down completely. (tip: keep under fan to cool it down fast)
- Once it is cooled completely, transfer to mixi jar.
- Blend it to a fine powder.
- After blending to a fine powder, keep aside.
- For tempering take 1 tsp of ghee in a tadka pan.
- Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, handful of cashews.
- Then add 6-7 curry leaves. roast on low flame.
- Cashwes turns golden, switch off the flame.
- In a big mixing bowl, take 2 cups of cooked rice (you can take either boiled or steamed rice, preferably long grain rice).
- Add the tadka to the rice.
- Add the curry leaves spice mixture.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix everything well.
- Curry Leaves Rice is ready to serve.
HOW TO MAKE CURRY LEAVES RICE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS:1. In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and heat it.
13. After blending to a fine powder, keep aside.
TIPS & VARIATIONS :
- Firstly, use fresh curry leaves for the better taste.
- Instead of cashews you can use peanuts for a variation.
- You can prepare the curry leaves powder and store beforehand.
- Wash the curry leaves well and dry on a kitchen towel.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CURRY LEAVES :
Curry leaves are added in our traditional Indian cooking since ancient times. It is commonly added to the dishes for the rich flavor and popularly used in curries and other traditional dishes.
Most of us know the culinary use of these aromatic leaves. However these leaves have been in use for the medicinal properties too.
Curry Leaves are rich in carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, calcium, phosphorus, iron and other minerals. They also contain vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E etc. Let us see some health benefits of curry leaves.
- Curry Leaves for Weight Loss : Firstly, these leaves help the body get rid of toxins and secondly, help in burning the stubborn body fat. In turn helps to lose weight.
- These leaves are also used in the treatment of anemia.
- Helps in Lowering Cholesterol Levels.
- Curry leaves are rich in plant compounds which are powerful antioxidants. These compounds keep us healthy and protect us from numerous diseases.
- Curry Leaves for Hair : Curry leaves when boiled with coconut oil makes an excellent hair tonic which prevents greying and stimulates hair growth. It strengthen our hair and prevent hair loss. Curry leaves are also helpful in preventing dandruff and dry scalp.
- Curry Leaves are good for maintaining oral health.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON CURRY LEAVES :
Curry leaves are used in various Indian culinaries. These leaves add flavour to the dishes like curries, rice dishes (Curry Leaves rice is one of them) , dals, and for most of the tadka’s.
Yes. You can eat the curry leaves in the raw form also.
Eating curry leaves on an empty stomach may help in getting rid of excess fat from the body.
Varies from person to person. If you are undergoing any health issues then better consult doctor. Moreover, during pregnancy consuming these leaves may help you get rid of anemia.
For a normal person it is okay to eat 8 to 10 fresh curry leaves per day.