Karanji / Gujiya is a Maharashtrian dish (sweet and savory), though they prepare it for Diwali but in our home we prepare it for Ganesh Chaturthi. Prepapration of Karanji takes little extra efforts and time but the taste is worth trying.
Karanji is a sweet dish can used as a dessert or as a snack. It can be stored for a week in a air tight container.
Few days back when mom came to our house and we thought of preparing Karanji. So here I am going to share my mom’s way of preparing Karanji. It was too yummy so I thought of sharing with you guys as well.
Also you can check out why we celebrate Diwali, what is the purpose behind it?
Karanji / Gujiya / How to make Karanji...
- 1.5 cup Wheat flour
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- 1/4 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Oil for frying
- Water to knead the dough
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon White sesame seeds
Preparing the filling:
- Take a pan and dry roast the sesame seeds. After roasting for 2 to 3 minutes transfer it to another container.
- In the same pan add the grated coconut, cardamom powder, roasted sesame seeds and jaggery (it's a semiliquid jaggery from native, not the one which we get in the market) mix well.
- Keep on stirring on a medium flame until it gets little thicken. Then keep aside.
For Outer cover of Karanji:
- Take wheat flour in a bowl add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and knead the dough by adding water. Knead the dough to the chapati dough consistency.
- Make lemon sized balls out of the dough.
- Roll the balls in the dry wheat flour and roll it to make small small chapathi's
- Put the filling in the right half of the chapathi, and fold the other half over the filling. (Don't fill the stuffing till the edge of the circle)
- Press the end points properly, otherwise all the filling will come out while frying.
- You can use fork to give shape to edge of karanji. or else you can cut nicely to give half moon shape to the karanji.
- Now deep fry in oil until it becomes golden brown on both sides.
- Once removed from the frying pan, place it on a tissue or cotton kitchen napkin to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm along with ghee. Once cooled you can store it in a air tight container and enjoy having for a week.